10 March 2024

Vera's First Ride of the Year

After the trials and tribulations of the first ride on Thursday I decided to give Vera a longer run.

For TV the Arsenal game against Brentford was moved from 3pm kick off to 5.30pm. 

This meant I felt more like riding up to my usual parking place at the church at St Joan of Arc. In the past when I worked for Islington, the school next door was a regular stopping off point to support their IT systems.

I set off around 2.30pm, about the time I would have left for the train. All went well until the A13 after the Dartford Crossing.

Amazingly the crossing was free running and it was easy going.

Then we hit the traffic. Barely half a mile after the Crossing and it was solid. I split the second and third lanes and eventually reached the front of the queues almost by Ford at Dagenham. 

The problem? A multi-car accident complete with fire engines and ambulances. The police were letting one lane get past. 

Once through we had to contend with the changing speed limits! It's 40mph, then 50, then back to 40. Then they throw in a 30. All backed up with cameras to fleece the unwary driver. No other reason for the fluctuations.

The traffic remained heavy up through Hackney and Dalton. I eventually arrived at the church almost 2 hours after leaving home. I paid my fiver and set off for the Emirates Stadium.

The game was the usual frustration with the Arsenal winning the game late on to go to the top of the Premier League.

After the game I made my way back to the church. The bike was where I had left it and untouched. I togged up and set off. 

Vera had run very well and the F1 error from Thursday had thankfully not returned.

Heavy traffic back beyond Hackney and onto the A102. I decided to do the Blackwall Tunnel back. Once moving the rode home via M25 and M20 went smoothly. Coming home was about 30 minutes quicker.

First longer ride of the year was successful. It was a little chilly but mostly dry.

It was also the first time I have worn my leather jeans for many years! I can't remember when I bought them. I have for many years worn them over boots as modern road/race boots are too narrow to get them inside. 

Next ride? Maybe back some of the same way to Dagenham for an Oldham away game.

Sadly no photos today. Why? I have no idea why my phone saved none of the pix I took.

No comments: