24 September 2022

TomTom power supply


Since moving from the Rocket to the V-Strom I have been trying to get the TomTom mount, and more importantly the power supply, right.

On the Rocket I had a power socket on the left side of the engine near my left shin. I ran the TomTom lead from there to the mount in the handlebar. No problem.at all.

The V-Strom has a power socket on the dash panel under the rev counter. I cut down the long lead to make it shorter. The problem is when on full lock the clutch or brake hoses touch it and the connection is lost. 

I have tried to find a shorter plug to keep it from contacting. But finding one is proving difficult.

I have tried powering it using a USB plug rather than powering it using the mount. Even with the lash up of the small plug and right angle connection, it's not powering all the time. 

So time to resort to the TomTom lead from the battery. I had to order one as I had cut down the other.

The bike is due to go into Robinson's for a service and I will take it and ask them to fit it when they have the fuel tank propped up to work on the engine.

Hopefully they can connect the cable to somewhere that is only live when the ignition is on ... 


No comments: