Vera Run Out - 6th March
Today was a planned ride out to a new to me café at Brookland in Kent.
It had been advertised on the V-Strom Club UK Facebook page and the club's forum.
It was a cold day. Dry but temperature hovering around 6°C but once on the go it was okay for a ride.
I tried the Yamaha My Ride app and once again it didn't work. I am loathed to uninstall it as it has some historical rides on it.
I tried the new Detecht app. That worked in both directions, but doesn't have the same depth of data collection and presentation as My Ride. I suppose it's suck it and see.
I arrived at Jo's just around 1030am. The car park seemed very full. The café though wasn't. It would appear all the cars were for the adjacent model car racing circuit.
On the way in there are two big potholes filled with water. Easy to avoid but might catch out the unwary.
There were no other bikes.
I went in and there were loads of tables. I chose one where it was easy to be seen. Ordered a coffee and a Tunnocks Chocolate Mallow. Google it!
When I get a Tunnocks I think of a clip from a documentary with Billy Connolly (Google him too) when his wife gave him a Tunnocks. The simple joy on his face. A reminder of his old life in Glasgow where they are made.
Yum.
Gradually more and more people arrived and soon it was obvious that they would want my four seater table. With no bikers turning up, I drained my coffee and bid farewell and thanks to the "Jo's" running the café.
I took a quick photo to show "I was there".
It had got a little colder. Vera's air temp gauge now showing 5°C. I switched to my Dainese gloves. One because they come further up my sleeve and cut out any draught up the sleeve, and two, they are £100 gloves with Goretex lining and supposedly warmer.
Avoiding the entrance potholes was easily acheived. Turning left onto the A259 less so. There was a deep pothole where the side road and main road join.
The journey back was quicker than out. Fewer fools in cars blocking the road at way below the speed limits.
A bit of a shame that none of those that said they were coming actually showed up. You can only sit so long nursing the same mug of coffee blocking a table. I managed an hour before doing the honourable thing and leaving.
A lesson learned. Let someone else organise it next time.
Here are the Detecht screens.
Comments