25 November 2021

We all have many lives!

Picking this up from another posting.

What excuse for Vera's inactivity? None really. Apart from many of us have more that one life. Working 40 hours a week. Family. Dog etc etc.  Riding a motorcycle for fun is one of those "lives" that has to be fitted into all the others.

I guess this true for all of us.  We all have other calls on our time and so we have to basically ration everything we do to fit in with the wishes, needs of others and our environment.

Although I haven't been without a motorcycle since 1978, I am very time poor when it comes to just going out and throwing a leg over one of them and taking off.

Maybe with retirement time poverty will be reduced and instead of working a 40 hour week I can use some of those hours enjoying the freedom of the road from the back of a motorcycle.

Mind you, my wife is already suggesting things I can do! Volunteering at the local historical society.  I would be good at that (apparently) because I like history and I have experience as a former teacher for standing up talking to groups of people. We'll see about that one. I am generally not that outgoing with strangers!

She also suggested University of the Third Age. I had heard of it but it's not something that I had ever considered.  Maybe it is something we can do together? Learn to play the ukelele?

During the pandemic I tried to volunteer for a motorcycle based support group that was using the ability to get through traffic easily, to distribute vital medical supplies and equipment (oxymeters etc) into care homes and individuals.  

In the end I couldn't do it as I have to work 40 hours a week in a "real job" and for someone that pays me! When the long summer holiday/recess started the pandemic "was over", and I wasn't needed as they had enough volunteers.

I'll look into that once again.  Covid cases are on the rise all across Europe but not as badly here in the UK, where we got stuck into vaccinating the populace early and quickly. But maybe come the Spring they will need volunteers again.

I have a couple of trips planned for 2022. These have created a little friction.....

So maybe as one life ends another new life is born to keep us active and alive.

No comments: