1 March 2021

TomTom Upgrade - Again

The TomTom MyDrive Connect software is installed on an old Dell laptop that was Windows 7 when we bought it in about 2011 and that we have used until last year. It was upgraded to Windows 10 as I was using it for working from home. I doubled the memory in it as it was very slow.  

Now it has developed a problem with the keyboard and the A, S and D keys no longer work.  My "office" setup at home uses a stand and a separate keyboard.  That gets over one problem.

The newer Dell is a 17" screen and was Windows 10 from the start. Today I installed MyDrive Connect from the TomTom website. To see if it is really any better I decided that I would install the US mapping to the 410.

It's not a truly scientific test, but the 6gb maps file downloaded in 16 minutes and it then began to upgrade the unit itself.  The US maps are on the installed SD card rather than on the main memory.

Let's see what the time difference is!

Update:

It took 1h 58m in total. This included only three "our servers are busy" stop/starts.  When this occurs the system waits for you to click "retry". If I had left it running overnight I would have got up this morning to find it waiting for me to respond with only 11% completed.

No comments: