28 February 2021

TomTom Upgrade

One of the benefits of the newer style TomTom devices is the free for life (or until they change the software!) upgrades.

I connect mine from time to time to pick up the small community upgrades.  And often it is a surprise that there are any map upgrades... Why they don't email the user base and tell us!

Anyway, I decided to do mine this evening.  I connected the 410 to the laptop. Started MyDrive Connect and entered my password.

Two upgrades.  The Europe and US maps.

The US maps probably aren't really needed but as they are installed on the SD card in the until I might as well import and install them.

It all started well, then after several failures when the message pops up to say that their servers are busy it all has to be restarted.  Over and over. 

After 50 minutes it is 78% through the download.  It has already been to 100% but failed to keep the connection to their over worked servers.  



Maybe they should have thought of that when they sold so many units?

Maybe that's why they don't tell anyone that an update is available to avoid everyone across the globe logging in at once?

Who knows?

Update:

In the end I didn't do the US maps this time, they can wait for another time when there is a chance I might be going across the Atlantic.

So it should have been quicker with only 6gb of maps to download and install on the unit. In fact it took 2h 45m to complete that task!

The number of automatic restarts during the download section due "our servers are busy" messages meant that whenever I looked over the percentage displayed was often lower than when I last looked....

No comments: