Olympus IS-10 Film Camera

Whilst in the loft getting down the boxes so that Claire could take down the Christmas 🌲 and other assorted decs, I came across the Olympus film 📷 that I used proceeding entry into the digital age.


The strap is in the wrong place as someone in the past lost one of clips and so both ends use one!

It has a film in it. The batteries are deader than the last dodo.

Thinking back it may be the best part of 16 years since the film contained inside was last exposed.

Tomorrow I will hunt down a pair of CR123A batteries and see if I can finish the film.

After that it will be looking for someone to process and print it.

The world has of course gone topsy-turvy. In the 90's there were a myriad of companies that would process and send you 24 prints for about £1.99, and often sent another film to use.

My favourite was Truprint, or as a reserve either Bonusprint or Tripleprint. Sadly all gone to the wall due to the digital revolution.  

But like the upsurge in vinyl sales in the music world, life is stirring again and more people are returning to the analogue world....

Now digital prints can be had for around 7p each and there are no processing costs. Loads of sites online to upload digital content either from a computer, tablet or direct from the phone.

Of course, also with digital it has removed the wait to see what piece of art you had created.

Digital also removes that feeling of utter despair when the whole film turns out rubbish. 

Although the Olympus is fully automatic there is also the chance that it will turn out blurred or simply crap.

The disappointment of waiting a week, getting home to see the envelope on the table, opening it and then seeing one decent photo out of 24, or worse, 36 is unimaginable. 

Turning back the clock to 1999 might be an experience!!!


Update 3/1/21

Who would have thought that getting these batteries would be difficult to locate at the supermarket and shops. Okay, it is Sunday.

In the end. It was back online and to Amazon Smile! Arrive tomorrow. I like to shop locally  where possible, but finding camera shop in a Covid pandemic Tier 4 area means no chance.

Update  4/1/21

Batteries arrived at lunchtime and I put them in.  After a lot of whirring and the lens in and out I realised that the switch was to "on".  Turned it "off" and then  took stock.

The tiny LCD screen doesn't help much really and I have no idea how to tell it what ISO the film speed is.  I think it reads it off the film canister.

Once "on" and the LCD screen comes up to say that of the 24 exposures on the film it has already exposed only 7.  I have no idea when and where that might have happened.

I had a look on eBay and Amazon for a strap and found a used one. It's a little different but it does have the clip I need for the original strap.

It has now become my new "Lockdown 3 Project"......

Comments