Beeline - odd routing!
I was just looking on the beeline app to see how far it was to visit a railway that was on "World's Most Scenic Railways" TV programme when the result wasn't what I had expected. It was the Train des Cevennes between Nimes and Clermont-Ferrand. There is also a steam train in the same area - http://www.trainavapeur.com/
Living where we do, some 4 miles from the Channel Tunnel "le Shuttle" and only 14 miles from Dover ferry terminal, I expect to be routed one of those ways.
Instead, the route took me to what looks like Portsmouth. Maybe as the destination was somewhat west of the median line that cuts France in two it worked out the best route was to start west.
I thought nothing of it as I really wanted an idea of where the railway was rather than actually driving/riding it.
I tried later to see what route it would give me to go across the St Valery sur Somme. It's not that far across the channel. In fact in 1066 William the Conqueror used it as one of the ports for the invasion of England preceding the Battle of Hastings.
I was a little perturbed to see the route it chose! Portsmouth to Cherbourg ferry!
The same at the moment. I might re-boot the phone to see if that makes any difference. It didn't make a jot of difference. Still the same ferry route chosen.


Comments