5 November 2021

Oxford Warmdry Base Layer - First Impressions

I have worn this base layer only once on the bike when it was quite chilly and it performed very well. I have the one with the higher collar.  

The fit is very good and I ordered XXL size. It's not too tight and the material is very stretchy so that it is easy to pull over my body and is long enough to avoid builders-bum when on the bike.  

Too many larger size items are simply small things made bigger. By that I mean they assume that if you have a 44" waist then all they do is get a 28" pair of trousers and increase waist and hips by the right percentage. They forget that other dimensions such as length need looking at.  So many fat blokes end up uncomfortable in their sized-up clothes.

Whoever designed these shirts has done their homework and the length is good.  What is not so good is that the higher collar is limp! Floppy!  

I was expecting something more along the lines of a roll neck or turtle neck.  It seems they sized-up the neck and expect an XXL guy to have a neck that even Mike Tyson would find floppy or limp!



With the weather having turned for the worst recently, either lashing down rain or very low degrees centigrade (34-36 for you Fahrenheit types) I haven't had too much opportunity to ride with it. 

What I have done is wear it on dog walks. No matter what the weather Reggie the Patador needs to have his walk. I have worn it as the base layer under t-shirts and hoodies, and under thick winter jumpers and rainwear. Each time I have been warm.

The bugbear of the larger man, the bare midriff has been addressed.  As I lose weight this should become less of a problem, and 17lbs in 8 weeks is pretty good going.

I might see if Father Christmas will bring me another one for me to find under the tree later in the year.....

No comments: