5 November 2019

New Kevlar Jeans

Following an accident many years ago on the GT750 when Claire and I were chuffed up the back by another biker and I was hospitalised after crunching my head on the pavement, it was my legs that came off worse.  My ordinary jeans had not been very tarmac resistant and the scuffing and bruising was pretty bad.  

I decided to get some more "biker" jeans and bought a pair of Hood jeans. These are thick denim with an aramid Kevlar lining. 

Overall the jeans have done good service. Only once being called into action when I managed to almost write off the Europ' Touring BMW K1200S when I fell off on a diesel spillage near Etaples in France.  

There was only a slight scuffing to one seam, but they did suck up the diesel like a sponge.  By the time I was back at the shop and back on my own GS it was too late for any detergent to remove the stain. That was back in 2006.  

In 2014 I finally got a bit fed up with them and wanted something lighter and that produced the RK Jeans cargo style jeans.  These are actually a size too small now (my fault entirely) and I had to replace the top brass button when the original popped off.  I wrote a report at the time:

These have been superbly comfortable and swiftly moved into pole position on dry days. They have started to fade badly on the thighs where the sun bleaches the colour out.

So enter the Oggie 76 jeans. The single belt loop at the back meant they didn't fit comfortably around the waist.  You need to be comfortable on a bike trip.  So they had to go at the back of the wardrobe!  Apart from that they were okay.

I was browsing for a replacement pair and came across the Bull-It jeans. I have read about them for a while but never taken the plunge. The Sportsbike Shop has them in stock in my size at half price. 

As Sean Bean says:


In the shop picture they look pretty straight and one of the reviewers says that too.  Some say they come up larger than normal, others smaller..... I don't need smaller..... Fingers crossed.


Bull-it Covec SR6 Jeans Carbon





No comments: