17 June 2024

TomTom GO Camper Max

I finally got a little fed up with the Ohrex and the very complicated and less than the Google Maps type planning and routing.

The Ohrex works very well for a price of £69.99. Free map updates included.

So earlier in the year I started to look around at an alternative.

I watched a few vloggers that have had either the Garmin or TomTom.

In the end I am pretty experienced with TomTom products. I have a Rider 410 that I use on the motorcycle.

So after a lot of research, and price checking I found a TomTom Camper Max at a very reduced price. This cost £267.99.

The basic kit only comes with the screen/dash mount, cable and fast charge "cigarette" lighter plug.  The premium kit includes the disc to mount it to the dash and a carry case. I already have the disc in the Moho.

Out of the box it came about 50% charged and once started it takes the user step by step through the setup. This includes Bluetooth and WiFi connections.

The Bluetooth connection allows "on the go" traffic updates. 

WiFi saves connecting by cable to a laptop. One of the bugbears of the Rider 410 is connecting to the website and then keeping the connection live. 

Once "Max" was setup it was time to run through the menus to get it as I wanted.

When connected to the home WiFi I kicked off the software upgrade. It took a few minutes before I moved onto the maps.

I decided that for the first time I would update all the European maps. The chances of venturing to Albania are remote though...

The total download was 17.5gb. After some two hours it's got down to 4.8gb to go!

In future I think we'll just update ones I need or just western Europe.





Now all we need to do is get out on the road for a drive to test it out!

Update

I had to go out at about 3.50pm and it was down to 1.4gb to go. By the time I got back around 4.25pm.it had finished.

A quick."play" to look at PoI's and I can see these maps are showing some local shops and pubs that have been closed down since before COVID lockdowns...

No comments: