23 April 2024

MyRouteApp Navigation

I have been using MyRouteApp, and its predecessor Tyre, for about a decade. I use it mostly to create routes for the TomTom 410 that I use on the bikes and have done for many years.

I decided that as an alternative to the Ohrex satnav that we have been using in the motorhome for two years, that I would upgrade to the Navigation add-on in MyRouteApp.

An upgrade a year or so ago means that with Gold membership I can plan routes that take into consideration the overall dimensions on Molly the motorhome to avoid low bridges and narrow roads. That's the theory.  

The Navigation uses Here maps. It was a simple job to sign up and £15.95 later through PayPal the navigation button on routes in the app on my phone lights up.

I have a test route planned that will take me all of two miles into Hythe to the catholic church's car park! I will give that a go.

What has proved far more difficult is to download the offline maps from the app onto the phone. All the buttons seemed to be greyed out. Whether this is by design I have no idea. I have logged a call.  For my use at the moment I only need Spain, France and the UK.

When I click on the France download button it flickers briefly and that's it. I have decided to reboot the phone and see if that makes a difference. I have had to turn off the VPN just in case!  

More to come I guess.




No comments: