24 March 2024

Oldham Athletic @ The Daggers

The least said about the game the better. Both sides poor in the first half. Both tried a bit harder in the second half 

They had a shot that hit the post and pinged across the goal to safety.

We had a header palmed off the line by the keeper and then in the death throes a shot from a corner was blocked on the line...


I decided to ride up as the train and tube was a hassle.

I dressed for the worst weather. Three pairs of gloves, two winter and one summery. Waterproof trousers and of course, the old Frank Thomas jacket was brought out of wardrobe.

Like a lot of my gear it's getting old. At least the waterproofness is still good. 

It was sunny when I set off and I decided to fill up the tank in Hythe. Then off into the wind on the M20. By Ashford it clouded over. 

Operation Brock (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Brock) is on and so we crawl along at 50 on the motorway. Brock isn't needed this weekend, but deploying it during last weekend is ready for Easter!

It got greyer ahead but to the right it was all blue sky! Then just after Brock ended it began to rain. It morphed into sleet. Big blobs on the screen and my visor. Then finally... Hail. It rattled off the bike and me like having pebbles fired at me. 

The Frank didn't do much to stop me getting peppered! But even after all these years it was still waterproof.

Once at Dartford then traffic was solid. Lane splitting went okay with only the odd wanker that moved to close the gap.

Arriving at the ground I headed into the car park. The stewards told me to park with another bike right outside the players entrance. 

This is another new ground for me.


After the game it was basically ride the journey in reverse of the way up.

I was home about 1830. Six hours door to door.


And to cap the day off the dipped beam headlamp blew!  It was working when I got home. Went in to get the garage key, and came out to open the garage, and it was out. 


No comments: