21 May 2023

Meldrews' Sunday

May 21st and the third Sunday in the month - so it must be Meldrews' Sunday again.

As a non-club group of motorcyclists we tend to meet at a variety of places across Kent on the 3rd Sunday. There are other meets during the month, but this is the main one.

Or rather was. Despite membership of around 35 on the Facebook group, we are lucky to see more than 6 and most usually it is me and Cal on our own.

This month we decided to have breakfast in the NAAFI Cafe at the RAF Museum at Manston in Kent.  There are actually two museums, this one, and the Spitfire and Hurricane Museum nearby.

Cal and I were honored by the presence of my brother neill in his K16 BMW.  I was on the V-Strom and Cal in his Honda Forza 350 scooter.

On the way up I had set the Yamaha My Ride app to record my journey. As usual it failed to work. If I didn't have loads of rides recorded I would be deleting it.

After breakfast we went across to look at the new installation in the Spitfire & Hurricane Museum, this being a recreation of the cockpit of an Avro Lancaster and details about Operation Chastise. The 80th Anniversary of Chastise was a few days before.

From there it was everyone going their separate ways. I had gone on the longer route via Whitfield and Sandwich and decided to go back via the backroads to Wingham and back home via Hawkinge.  Apart from the potholes and narrow roads it was a lovely sunny ride.  Once again Yamaha My Ride failed to work and save the ride at the end.

So another 50 or so miles on the clock for 2023.


No comments: