19 June 2022

Meldrews' Sunday - June 19th

As expected just Cal and me on the breakfast ride out. 

With heavy rain and thunder/lightning overnight I decided not to repeat the summer gear mistake on the Czech trip and wire my FT Aqua Jacket and Armr waterproof trousers. Good job as the rain came ..

Cal arrived at my house just after 0930 and we set off. I had forgotten the last time I had put fuel in Vera was in Belgium soon after leaving Bastogne. 

With the high speed dash to the ferry port I didn't bother refuelling. So when the range light dropped to 1 I had to fuel up at the Esso in New Romney. At 193.9 for E10 it was the cheapest litre around here. I got 19.57 litres in the tank. There was I thinking I had a 19 litre tank. This came out at a tad over 51mpg.

We had a chat over coffee/tea and bacon baguette at Jo's Café in Brookland and then decided to head back via Rye and Appledore. This café is right by the model car racing circuit. It's popular with bikers too.

The Getapic guy was taking photos and when we arrived into the bend he was checking what he had taken! Missed us!

At Appledore Cal went left and I came back to Brenzett and home.

At one point we caught up with a gaggle of lycra louts riding in a bunch that the cars couldn't pass. No problems for Vera. Why these arrogant shits can't ride more spaced apart is anyone's guess. Because they are arrogant shits? They are the same club we often encounter blocking roads.

 
So only 41 miles this week. It started off sunny and on the way home the rain came. Enough to be glad I wore the right gear.

No comments: