29 August 2021

Sutton United vs Oldham Athletic - EFL League 2

I had charged the Bluetooth kit in the LS2 helmet and had made sure the TomTom would connect. 

What I didn't check was that the TomTom hadn't been set to avoid motorways.

So the estimated time of arrival at Sutton was 2.36pm. For a 73 mile trip and leaving at 12.25pm seemed odd.

In the end I knew I had to get to the A217 junction in the M25 and go right. Which I did.

I actually arrived at 1.35pm. I then bluffed my way into the parking. I wasn't on the list but they told me to park by the bike shed. Phew.

Once the bike was locked up I had to walk around three sides of the ground to the "away" turnstiles.

I picked up my ticket from the Oldham team by the gate and went in.

I had booked a seat at £18 for a senior. Seating was the "sit anywhere" stylee.

The tea bar was just inside the gate and I had a bacon roll and a coffee.

Found my seat. What a terrible game. To be honest both sides were not very good. Unsurprisingly as Latics were bottom of 24 with no points, and Sutton slightly ahead on two points.

It came alive on 69 minutes with a shot out of the blue that struck the bar and the rebound was put in the net.

This actually stirred Latics and the fought back. Piergianni headed the equaliser on 89 minutes. 

The fourth official announced seven extra minutes!! 

This is usually the cue for Latics to concede. 

In the end it was Latics that piled on the pressure and with almost the last kick teenager Luamba held off two defenders to shoot the winner.


A 2-1 win. Off the bottom.

😳😳😳😳

Then the ride home. Basically retracing the journey up. A stop at Ashford to fill the tank. But pretty much a simple ride.

No comments: