31 July 2021

Oxford Sovereign Luggage

I was in the garage earlier and remembered that somewhere right at the back was this set of luggage. I must have bought these back in 1998 to go on the GSXR750 that I went on to that year's Czech Invader.

I have very few photos of that trip as they were on print film and they have mostly all gone missing over the years.  Except this one. On the Bingen to Rudesheim ferry on the way back from that Czech Rally.

Bingen to Rüdesheim Ferry - May 1998

They saw further action on the TDM and until around 2003 on the 1200 Bandit.

So I got the ladder out and climbed up to get them from off the rafter at the back of the garage. They were covered in cobwebs and considering they have been there for about 19 years, they are in exceptionally good condition.

A brush off with a stiff brush got most of the crap off them. They still have the waterproof covers inside one of them but they are a bit "cloudy" where they are clear plastic, but the elastic is still good.  


The only problems are that the elastic straps that are supposed to go over the rear footrest to stop then flying in the air as you go along are perished and will need replacing.  When I used the Swagman panniers on the GT and on the GSXR1100 to Sweden & Finland in 1987 I used small looped bungees. I will have to see if I can get some of them.

The other problem is that the front pocket on the right (left as viewed above) pannier is missing the "stop" that keeps the button closed.  I will have to bodge something. I didn't use those pockets anyway!


Once brushed clean of all the cobwebs and other accumulated muck I put them over the Kettle to see if they fit. Plenty of room to clear the exhausts. 

Fingers crossed they will fit Vera Strom as well.

No comments: