24 July 2020

Luggage?

Low priority at the moment.

Given that a newly rebuilt Kettle will eventually become "Old Paul's" main bike at some stage in the future, I might need luggage.

I still have the Swagman panniers I used in the 90's. They have done sterling service over the years. I bought them before a holiday trip in the late 80's and they went with me to Czech in 1992. 

Here they are in 2001 carrying our stuff for the weekend to Ostend for the St Nick's Rally.


In the garage is also a set of Craven Comet panniers. They used to be fitted to my GS1000G back in 1981. 

These have QD fittings so that they could be removed when not needed. It's a bit cumbersome and used dzus  fasteners and a lock to secure them.

Craven are being made again for classic bikes and even for modern Triumph twins. Maybe I might move in that direction. 

Whether the "new" Craven makers could make a rack and mount for a GT? And maybe replicate the pannier rail and QD plate? Is a question for them!

Of course the current Rickman rack accommodates the adapter plate and Givi E45 topbox.

Above it was paired with the Swagman panniers on the trip to Austria/Italy/Slovenia in 1999.

No comments: