23 July 2020

Chrome?

Once I get the bike out of the garage I can give it a good going over to see the state of the chromed parts.

A Kettle has a lot of those from both mudguards, to the exhausts, headlamp bowl and smaller items like the clock bases and the airbox side panels. 

I can see that I am going to be overwhelmed with Autosol jobs. 

Mine also has a Rickman rack fitted, and that's chrome as well. Onto this is the Givi mount to fit the Givi E45 box. The Givi box is the only one left from a set of two E45 and two E45 boxes. My former partner had one of the big boxes and both the small ones on her XJ900F. I kept one. It has been used extensively on all my bikes since the mid 90's.

Rubbing my hands over it reveals some rust but hopefully this will clean up from the surface with elbow grease and metal polish. 

I already have the speedo and rev counter bases rechromed and never fitted. I was lucky to get a load of parts for next to nothing a few years ago and have them to fall back on.

Also in a crate in the garage is the barrel and pistons that was on the bike when I bought it in 1984. This is perfectly standard and may be better to use in the rebuild than the current rusted set? I'll give Phil that option.




No comments: