13 May 2020

Lockdown - Two months!

Today is the start of the third month since I last went up to London on the train to go to work. On March 12th 2020 my boss said as one of those with underlying conditions (as result of the heart attack and stenting) I should start to work from home.
 
I was already at home by this stage.  I had had almost a week off the week before with 'flu like symptoms. I went to work on the Thursday but was really ill on the way home.  Maybe I had had Covid-19 and only mildly?  I have no idea. Until they start dishing out the anti-body test we'll never know.
 
On Thursday 12th it was later in the evening when he made the decision. It means that my work laptop was on the desk at work! 
 
One of my colleagues collected and posted it to me. It arrived today.  It saves my shared with Claire personal laptop from a 40 hours week!  Once I had fought my way through the blocks and locks that the Council's IT monkeys have tied it down with, I can work!  Sadly only using Internet Explorer. I prefer Chrome!
 
So how has it been?  Apart from two weeks over Easter when I was on holiday, yes, term time only people aren't paid so I ain't gonna work, I have been working from home.
 
It begs the question that in effect with the council Lenovo L430 and it's up to date operating system (actually it's WIN7), do I actually need to go to London on the train to work?  I have managed 7 weeks without doing it! 
 
I miss the banter and companionship of my colleagues and the Monday morning Google Chat meeting doesn't quite fulfil that need but working is no problem.
 
I expect that come next Monday that the Council Lenovo won't work very well as the camera was blocked by the IT department and so I'll have to listen and maybe type a reply if anyone asks me anything.
 
I am sticking to a fairly rigid schedule. I login earlier than if I was sitting on a train and as the helpdesk closes at 1630, I tend to logoff after then.  I don't have long lunches either.  So have managed to build up some flexi-time!  From a deficit of 7 hours I am 9 up!  Yeehaw!
 
What does the future bring.  Probably another month or so of work from home and then what?

No comments: