23 January 2020

Push The Boundary - Oldham Athletic Fans' Group

I joined this fans' group to push for some action at the club where I saw my first ever football match as 4yo way back in 1959. This season is the 60th since I started to go.  Let's hope it ends better.

I used to go with my Dad, Claude Devall, who was one of the blokes that kept the supporters' club running.  In a small scrapbook we have pictures from the Oldham Chronicle of him painting the stand during the summer break.

He used to go and sit in the stand with his buddies from the club, John Hartshorn and Vinnie (I don't know his surname) and leave me to stand behind the goal, often with my Aunt Linda (Shaw now Johnstone) and her friend Anne.

In those days the club was about where it is now, near the foot of the fourth tier, then called the Fourth Division.  A few years before the two regional third divisions, North and South had been merged into Third and Fourth.

After the highs of being in the Premier League when it started in 1992/93 and staying for two years before bombing out they eventually find themselves in League 2.

Several ownerships later and things are on a knife edge.  As an "exile" I try to get to as many games in the South and East as possible. I have to fit these in with being an Arsenal season ticket holder,

League Tables for the first Paul Devall season as an Oldham Athletic football fan.

The link is to the report from PTB on a meeting they had with the owner and a couple of directors: 

No comments: