22 November 2019

Road Trip 2020 - RT20

The ideas are still bubbling away.  With an Old SOCs weekend planned in the English Lake District for the middle of August this trip needs to be done from late July.

I had the idea of fulfilling one of my bucket list points and heading for Poland.  Auschwitz has been a pilgrimage for me for many years and I have never made it. Once in the 90's when I worked in Zastávka u Brna I did get as far as the Czech/Polish border at  Český Těšín  and got no further. The bridge over the river was closed to traffic although I did walk across to the halfway point to say I had stepped foot in Poland. I have no idea whether this was just that day or (semi) permanent.

I watched Richard Ayoade's "Travel Man - 48 hours in Krakow" recently and the lure of a salt mine was almost too great. 

But the lure of a scenic railway tops that!

The railway in question is Train des Merveilles and runs between Nice and Tende. 

It winds its way through the mountains and the line takes in lots of tunnels. 

Sadly, it used to go to Cuneo in Italy but it stops short now.

On the timetable website there is another train that comes up from Ventimiglia that shares the track on the French section. 

I don't fancy Nice again especially in the car. Parking and all that. 

The last time we were there we were dressed for the mountains and it was too hot for bike gear!  We had a day to spend before putting the bike on the train to Paris. 

Negresco et moi

So there needs to be more research. 

No comments: