1 September 2019

Pandathon 1992

After being made redundant for the second time in 7 years I decided to re-train as an English teacher.

Despite being obviously quite thick at school or rather crap at remembering stuff for exams, I managed to talk myself onto an accredited course at a large training centre in London. 

As I wasn't already a teacher of some kind, and also didn't have at least an undergraduate degree, I had to prove that I could do the course in an interview.

The CTEFLA course is very hard and intensive. I passed and armed with my qualification I began looking for jobs. Only a month but learning and teaching everyday was very hard. 

I began to search the EFL ads in the Times Education Supplement and the Guardian newspapers.  I then ran into rampant ageism. At 37 I was "too old" to compete with younger, often graduates, who with no experience of life away from mummy and daddy would be better suited. And possibly cheaper.  I applied for loads of jobs across the UK and in EU Europe.

Even the training school couldn't find me a placement in London or at their schools around Europe and globally. 

In the February half term of 1992 we set off in the Fiat Panda for Brno in the Czech Republic, to check out places there.

We experienced all weathers from warm days to snow as we crossed Germany. 

Staying in budget hotels and youth hostels as we went. 

In Jihlava we stayed in a faded hotel in the city centre that had been a hotel for communist party officials. The decor seemingly unchanged since the 1930's.  If only 27 years later I could remember its name!

Attached are some photos from the road in Germany. 

We stayed in Prague on the way home at the Hotel Extol. Then a hostel formerly for water company workers!! 




Rhine Ferry - Bingen to Rudesheim?

The Panda did the job really well despite only having a 902cc engine. 

Sadly a few years later with 185000 miles under its wheel the engine gave up the ghost. 

No comments: