7 May 2019

Le Mans Trip

Planning a route is the easiest bit.  After all when you have a TomTom (other GPS systems are available) you simply type into it where you want to go and eh voila! It takes you there. Magic.


Of course there are some settings and preferred roads you might want to set. For me it is no tolls. I don't mind highways but prefer them to be free. And so that was entered into the mix.


Another consideration are fuel stops.  I didn't used to bother as I kept an eye on the trip counter and in conjunction with the fuel gauge decided when to stop when it looked likely that fuel was needed.


Pepé has a sensible operating range of about 180 miles.  The buttock clenching stomach lurching maximum is about 200.  I try to never get anywhere near that far on a tank with 189 being the furthest I have risked in the past. 


For this trip I looked for hypermarket fuel stops at around the 160-170 mile mark.  The home to hotel and hotel to home distance is around 230 miles.


It does mean that both days after the racing I'll tank up to ensure a full tank start the next day.


The estimated return journey hotel to track is 70 miles.  Add to that the 70 or so from the run down on day one and that's enough. A small fill up on the Sunday would assist the strategy.


Let's see how that works in reality in a couple of weeks.

No comments: