17 January 2019

MyRouteApp vs Tyre

I have been using Tyre for a number of years to plan routes and send them to my TomTom GPS units that we have successfully used on the bike and in the cars for quite a few years. 

Last year there was a bit of a problem and Tyre ceased to work with Google Maps.  This proved to be a massive problem and although they managed to recover to use Open Source maps it doesn't work anywhere near as well.

So we had a look at MyRouteApp. Another Dutch production that works on a Windows PC as it is web based and also supports an app that runs on my Android phone.  Neill used it to create in and out routes on our 2016 trip the Czech for MotoGP.

I created an account back then too to receive the shared routes but haven't touched it until recently.  He has created routes for the upcoming Devallboys trip to Le Mans for the MotoGP in May. So I have given it another go.

On my part I have started looking at routes to get from airport to hotel and to the different apartments. The interface is easy enough to use and it also uses Open Source maps. I have opted for the free 14 day upgrade to Gold that allows a range of mapping solutions such as Google and TomTom.  That also turns on options such as optimising the route.  I like that idea.  I tested that on the old route to Czech and manually moved a few waypoints and then optimised and it stuck them in the right order.

So sadly Tyre has been consigned to the back burner!!


Updated 17/01/2019 16:32

I had a trawl through my saved ITN and GPX files and found two massive ones that contain all the waypoints for UK Steam Railways including museums and stationary engine sites. I had made these from lots of smaller files.  But, importing to MyRouteApp proved to be a problem as they are too big to import as they are and need to be cut down again!

If you sign up to MyRouteApp you might see the ones I have posted as I made them "public".

No comments: