17 December 2018

TCX Explorer Boots

These boots have oddly managed to avoid being reported on for a few years.  In fact, they hardly get a mention and there might be a reason for this.

I bought them way back in 2013.  My Oxtar boots were getting long in the tooth and a bit battered.  Although 99.99% waterproof they were looking scruffy.  So before the Ashes Run to Scotland I ordered these.

They were not that expensive as it goes and have a Goretex waterproof lining rather than some unknown liner.  This was a major point for me as I have had non-Goretex liners before and they have been less successful at keeping out the rain!

Although the Explorer has a very light gear change. On the Ashes Run it wore through the gear change pad on the left boot.  On my return I reported this to the sellers and they asked me to return and they send out a new pair.  Being sceptical, and out of pocket for postage (!), the new pair arrived and I put the box, unopened, into the wardrobe where they lay forgotten for over three years.

I have still to get used to them. They are very stiff and laziness means that the ancient Oxtar boots are still worn on short trips to the Meldrews etc.

I wore the Explorers on the day trip to see the "Egg" at Palingbeek but they are not ideal if there is a lot of walking. I guess I have to persevere and get them softened up.

But.  They have proved to be very waterproof. The "glaze" still on the leather and water runs off easily.  If I could locate the can of hydrophobic spray I would use that on them.  

More updates to follow......



They are still available on the 'net although over five years ago I paid a lot less.than this price.- https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/276058

No comments: