7 September 2018

La danse macabre de l'assurance

It's that time of year again - La danse macabre de l'assurance begins.

My current insurers sent the renewal quote and a note to say that it would be automatically renewed 5 days before it was due - on the 18th September.

La danse macabre

All would be well if the premium hadn't gone up from £251.93 to £282.31 (£30.38)! Considering the depreciation on a 7 year old car and the lower risk a break-even quotation might have been acceptable.

As it was, La Danse was just beginning. Take your partners....

I logged into my account with the Meerkats.  I have successfully used them before and have always saved money.  The trick seems to be to change companies every year to maximise the "new business" enticements.

The first few pages of insurers wanting my business were all cheaper than last year's quote (!) and I chose the cheapest.

Choosing the cheapest may not be the best way, always, but after checking that all I needed was included in the quote I decided to go ahead with RIAS.

A quick call to Endsleigh to say do not auto renew my policy went off smoothly.  Unusually they didn't try to keep my business with an offer I couldn't refuse.

Back online.  Bish bosh, and £224.13 spent on the RIAS policy.

A saving of.... £58.18.   I am happy with that.

One of the Meerkat insurers was laughable.  Achoice (!) quoted £3069.21 for a car worth about £3500!

So for this year:

La danse est finie!


No comments: