23 August 2018

Palingbeek

To commemorate the numbers of troops killed in the battles around Ypres and at Passchendaele an amazing memorial has been created in the domain of Palingbeek to the south east of Ypres/Ieper.

The memorial consists of 600000 sculptures that each represent a soldier killed on that front during WW1.

https://www.rememberingmysoldiers.be/trips-projects/cwrm-palingbeek-2018


Pepe and I will be going over there in a few weeks to have a look. The official website (linked below) suggests at least an hour to view the installation. It's only there until 11th November - Armistice Day, so there is limited time to get across and see it.

Hopefully I won't be Johnny No-Mates on the day but if I am I can enjoy it all the better myself.

There are a couple of other places I'd like to call in where I have not been before or not for a long time.

A report to follow in a couple of weeks when I have been over to Belgium.




More information:


No comments: