17 August 2018

Broadstairs Folk Festival

In Broadstairs with Claire and Reggie to meet with, Judy, a friend of Claire's from school many years ago. They hadn't met for about 50 years but are in contact on Facebook.

The idea was to meet and then go and have lunch and they could chat.  Judy was appearing in the Folk Festival singing with a group and another ex-Clarendon girl, Linda, was dancing Appalachian Tap Dance.  Don't ask me!

As I expected it to be an old girls meeting I decided to take Reggie and when they were chatting I would walk with him along the cliff tops around Viking and Louisa bays.  As Viking Bay is the main beach dogs aren't allowed between April and September, but at Louisa he is allowed on a lead.

At the meeting place by the war memorial and the Morris turned up. As I was keeping Reggie close by and Claire took the pictures.







After a walk down to the Pavillion we met  Kevin, Judy's partner, and Linda and went to to lunch.  At the time I learned that Kevin was a biker as well.  I didn't put two and two together until later after discussions turned to a bike trip they did to New Zealand last year and another trip later this year.

Then I realised Kevin is Kevin Williams of Survival Skills fame. I had actually met him before at a Biker Down event in Kent some many years ago.  Like most of us, he does look a little different!

We had lunch. I tried the veggie option as I didn't feel like meat.  Although the burger Kevin had looked nice and juicy.  My falafel and humus baguette was dry even with some kind of chilli sauce - never again.

After lunch we then had a walk back up from the beach level to the upper cliff where there are pubs and shops, and around the Folk Week stalls. Reggie was getting bored as they looked at folky and arty stuff and so we went for a widdle and a sniff session with other dogs. Him not me.

It was getting time for Judy and Linda to go and get ready to perform and we started walking back but not before enjoying a Morelli's ice-cream. The parlour has been there since they were at school nearby.

Reggie enjoys ice-cream and had some from Judy and me. I don't think he cares what flavour, although we do keep him away from chocolate.

The weather was warmish, around 20°C and the beach was busy.



Once we parted we slogged back up to the station where we had parked and set off for home.  On the way calling into Pawfect to restock the freezer with Reggie's favourite frozen raw food.

It was a very nice day and I said to Claire that although we were almost strangers, they'd not met for 50 years (!) that it was very "comfortable".  I hope they felt the same........

posted from Bloggeroid

1 comment:

InvictaMoto said...

The Biker Down I refer to can be be found at http://www.kent.fire-uk.org/your-safety/road-safety/road-safety-for-bikers/. We went in April 2012.