31 July 2018

Insignia - Problem

Since I bought the Insignia four years ago I have put 34000 miles on the clock.

Apart from an annual service and tyres both end (once) and a new battery in Jan 18, it's not been too much of a problem.

A broken spring after some Scottish potholes of monumental depth is about it.

Forget about the local Kent drivers who on FOUR occasions have managed to run into it...

Last evening I got home from dog walking, following Claire into the drive. The coolant light has been on for a few days and I guess that the level was low. On checking I could see it was about 2mm below the max line.

I topped it up with about 200ml of clean tap water and that took it to the line. Dipped the oil and that was okay.

To check the light and warning panel was off I started the engine. The steering wheel was stiff. The aircon was on but nothing came out of the vents.

Then the warning lights for battery and charging all came on.

I turned off.

Like all good chaps I googled the warning panel message...

Alternator? Battery?

No. Lack of power steering and electrical functions was the belt on the left (as facing) of the engine. In the half light I could see a naked pulley at the end of the alternator. Further delving into a roasting hit engine bay located the belt. Unbroken.

How had it come off? I called the RAC as someone on the Vauxhall Drivers Club forum had said that it was an easy job to get on.

Unfortunately, we live 5 miles from Eurotunnel and 13 miles from the Port if Dover... With so many holidaymakers on the road and consequently loads of breakdowns they couldn't guarantee when they could send their guy to me. They estimated 2300.

At 2050 they called and asked as the car was half on my drive whether they could come 0800 tomorrow... I said yes

0815 this morning Dave arrived and managed to force the belt on. He couldn't offer any idea how it had come off. The belt was undamaged and the tensioner took a 3ft bar to lever it to create enough slack to get the belt back on!

So at least I can get to work. It ran perfectly, of course, to the station.

My neighbour John owns a garage in Dymchurch.  He said to drop it in and they'll check it properly for wear and alignment. A kind offer and I would never ask a neighbour. It seems like you are after something for nothing...

Looking at it running there seems to be no obvious run out and so who knows what caused it.

The main worry is that we go on holiday on Friday. It's only 145 miles but the potential to go wrong seems way too high. Maybe go in Claire's Corsa!!

Update August 3rd

The day before we go... Had dentist appts in the morning. Then took it to John's garage. Can't do it but bring it back 8am Friday.

Did that. Ring on doorbell about 1030am. Lee, John's son, with car keys. All checked and nothing can be found.

Finished packing.

Decide to give them my Beer52 collection of different IPA beers. ..

Just driving away when they came home for lunch... Waved and drove off.

Car ran perfectly.


posted from Bloggeroid

No comments: