22 January 2018

Towing a trailer in EU/European countries - FEMA



Back in the 90's I bought a trailer to take my chattels and books to Czech when I was there teaching at a school.  Unfortunately it was probably the only trailer ever fitted to a Suzuki GT750A.  Not a bike anyone would choose to travel across Europe and live with as sole transport for a year before fitting a trailer hitch!

I still have both and they are both in need of TLC. TLC = money thrown at them. Although the GT has long been hitchless.

Taken in 1994 after return from Czech
Although the list on the FEMA site includes countries I have been to with the trailer, both on the GT and a later Yamaha XJ900F, the information is a surprise.  

I have ridden in Slovakia after the Velvet Divorce and wan't stopped by the police or in any way hampered by them.

In Germany we were speeding along the A3 autobahn, two up on the XJ,  near Aachen and told to slow to 80kph by the police in a car that came alongside us.  I assume that the "slow down" waving of the arm and four fingers on both hand was indicating 80?

But isn't it odd that where they are trying to make Europe one big happy state (!) with licence standardisation across all member states that this is a complete haphazard nightmare?

No comments: