10 September 2015

AZ - Trips

Once we hit the apartment in Scottsdale for some R&R,  I have been looking at a few excursions or trips.

I thought Tucson and Tombstone seemed like a good idea but the Rough Guide has put me off from bothering. Neither place gets a glowing write-up.

I have booked a hotel on the "pay later free cancellation" idea from booking.com. So at least I have until June 3rd to scrub it.

One day trip, that depending on the above we well do is to the Red Rock State Park near Sedona. It's about 100 miles from Scottsdale, and  easily do-able in a day. I expect the "day" is quite long at that time of the year. It could morph into an overnight stop to gives us time to do the "vortexes".

Another trip I mapped for the TomTom is the Apache Trail to the east of Phoenix. The RG makes it sound an adventure of unpaved but graded roads. We'll see. 

And then once the week in Scottsdale is over we head north east to check out the Petrified Forest and Painted Desert, straddling R66!

Yes I know I said Route 66 was not a great call for us, but it's there so why not drive all of it we can?     

No comments: