13 March 2014

Trip housekeeping!

Following Cal's message published on here earlier.

I will have TomTom and GPX routes available for anyone that wants to have it for their satnav.  I will do a special Ian version for Mr Gardner; he often turns left when everyone else goes right.... Only joking Ian.

Let me know by email and I will send it out when I have finalised the stops for the second day. It's almost all there.

Housekeeping

1 - Even with the benefits of satellite navigation systems there is still a need to keep together.  I suggest that we use the "drop off" system to keep us together.

The SOC has a wide reputation for losing people on the road and also with some members choosing to go a different way without telling the following riders!!

2 - Autoroutes.  The start of Day 1 and the end of Day 2 require the autoroute to get there and back as quickly as possible,  

On the way out please ensure you have a full tank.  There is a fuel station on the A20 about half a mile before the port, Shell I think, that is perfectly placed for that last minute fill-up. There's another at the top of the hill on the A2 by the McDonalds.

Have some cash or a credit/debit card to hand. We need to collect a ticket at the first toll booth on the A26 near Ardres and then pay at the toll on the exit by Arras.  I suggest once paid that glove refitting and assembling everyone will be easier at the lay-by just after the tolls. They all have somewhere to pull off safely.

3 - Helmet stickers - There was a burst of publicity last year when the French dropped the postcard size reflective patch idea, and then decided, in many places,  to enforce the four stickers law.  

There is contradictory advice from the French version of MAG and the EC.  I have four black stickers on my black Schuberth that reflect white in headlights and they weren't very expensive. For a few quid I'll stick some on Claire's new black Nolan.

I think they will look pretty crap on my red Shoei though!

It's up to you whether you want to put them on your helmet. At least you have been warned.

4 - What else?  If you think of anything you want to share with the group, then email me and I'll post it on the blog.


No comments: