30 March 2014

Dumbbell?



Dumbbell?, originally uploaded by InvictaMoto.

Is there really a double-b as the spell checker thinks?

Anyway. The solution to the hand guard to TomTom interface has finally been sorted, I hope.

Not as I had thought by using the new handlebar clamp ball, but by buying the RAM Mount dumbbell and using it to connect the two RAM arms together, thus allowing the changing of the angle as well as the distance from the original mounting place.

With the shorter TomTom supplied arm at the bottom and the longer one, from the old Garmin kit, at the top, I can get the TomTom above the bike's instruments and still have it behind the screen.

The cable will need to be cut longer than anticipated, but that shouldn't be a problem.

I didn't get a chance to test it this weekend but once I have had a ride out I can see if this works or not.

If all is good, then I'll cut the wire down and re-fit the Hella plug.

This setup will allow me to remove the entire cradle and wiring, just leaving just the bottom RAM ball mounted to the screen frame. I don't like leaving anything thievable on the bike.

The other upside to this is that both the mount and the socket are fixed points, whereas the handlebar clamp would have been a moving point and might have needed a coiled wire to the socket to handle the movement.

Fingers crossed.

Full view

No comments: