30 June 2013

Flights booked.

Had a Google search for flights to Fort Myers from London.  I found that Air Canada had listed the flights via Toronto and I was wondering if it was available a little cheaper.

In the end I used the Skyscanner app on my phone and it picked the same flights as before but through a travel agents in Reading it worked out cheaper than direct.

So after googling them to check that they are ATOL registered  I booked.  The fare comes out at £672.78 each. That includes all taxes plus the ATOL airline tits up cover.  A little cheaper than Virgin and much cheaper than BA.

Why Fort Myers (RSW)?  

The first week we are at Punta Gorda in the Fisherman's Village Resort.  If we fly into Miami or Orlando we end up with a longish drive to the resort from either the main airports that we British flock into.

MIA to Punta Gorda - 178 miles
Miami International is 178 miles from the resort. Given the arrival time in Miami, the mess about to enter the US through and Homeland Security and Customs, and we will be far too late to drive that far. We're talking the equivilent of London to Manchester.

So, Orlando. About the same fare as Miami, and the same sort of arrival times on US soil and the same sort of drive.

Orlando to Punta Gorda - 175 miles
So that's why I started to look at the possibility of a regional airport that would mean a lot shorter distance after arriving in the US and Fort Myers popped out on the map. I started to look for flights and there were a few that came up, Delta with some strange stopovers like Houston, Chicago and Atlanta.

Then I saw Air Canada and then Skyscanner picked this one up and I booked through Travelup.

Fort Myers to Punta Gorda - 40 Miles
The return has to be considered as well.  Our second week is at Weston nearer to Miami, so I have picked a flight out at 1840 so that we have all day to drive across from the East coast to the airport.

So what now. Car I guess.

No comments: