3 March 2013

Burmarsh Alpaca


Burmarsh Alpacas, originally uploaded by InvictaMoto.

Had a ride out today around the Marsh just to get some miles under the wheels. It's MoT time next Saturday and I wanted to make sure everything was okay. It's only the second time this year that I have been out and when you consider it's March already......

The roads were almost deserted. Between Burmarsh and Dymchurch I came across a field of alpaca. The farmer keeps them for their wool and in the nearby craft shop they sell the wool and also knitted goods made from it.

It was a little chilly but things are looking up! Maybe in a few weeks it will be good enough to stay out longer.

Living on the coast we do get a variety of seafood, fish and er... the other stuff.  These are whelks. Claire and I often go to Folkestone and Bob's in particular for fish and these molluscs. 

We also had a "lobster flavoured" tail.  It is in effect fish pressed into a shape and flavoured.  Supermarkets sell a product called "crab sticks" that are a similar mixture. 


3 comments:

Trobairitz said...

Glad you got out for a ride. How was the helmet?

I did a quick 10 miles to coffee and back on Saturday and was impressed at how quiet the Qwest was compared to my old Scorpion.

Oh and I had to google 'whelks', thanks for teaching me something.

InvictaMoto said...

Whelks are an acquired taste. Not as salty as you might imagine having spent their no doubt short life in the sea. I guess similar things are eaten in the US as well.

In Belgium, they have them hot, or at least warm in a kind of broth but we tend to simply eat, these plus cockles and winkles simpy de-shelled and boiled.

Whelks are commonly peppered and then have vinegar on them. We used the chili flaked vinegar and it brings out the taste!

InvictaMoto said...

Helmet wise. SOOOOOO quiet compared with my Nitro and SOOOOO light compared to the heavy Schuberth.

I have to get the visor right for me yet, and the front vents, as I rode with the lever on the left just opening the visor a tad.