27 August 2012

On the Marsh

I dug the bike out of the garage. After a few weeks off I always feel nervous, despite a new battery, that I'll press the button and nothing will happen. I shouldn't have worried as she fired up no problem. Maybe thanks to the Odyssey fitted in the Spring.

I set off along Burmarsh Road to the end, then left towards Dymchurch, then back on the Marsh towards Newchurch.  It was here I came across a grave along the side of the road. I don't remember seeing it before.




It is the grave of Pilot Officer Arthur William Clarke. Aged 20. Killed in action nearby on 11th September 1940 during the Battle of Britain.


Grave of PO A. W. Clarke

I stopped to pay my respects. A reminder of the sacrifice that our young men have been giving for years and still are.

After the stop at the war grave, I set off back across the Marsh a little more and up to the petrol station near the M20 to fill the tank up.

Once back at home I did some googling to find more info on 504 Squadron and the events of the day.

http://www.epibreren.com/ww2/raf/504_squadron.html

No comments: