6 July 2008

National Rally - Not all went to plan!

The run from the overnight stop at Pete's was a doddle. Sadly the M1 is as boring today as it was last time I slogged up towards Derby!


We arrived over two hours before the start of the rally. Before the checkpoint had been set up. Andy arrived about an hour after us and we chatted whilst he noshed through a Burger King speciality.
Then everything started to go tits up.

My Quest locked up and couldn't find the satellites. Then it simply gave up. Luckily we had maps and both Pete and Andy had the route in their Quest and Zumo 550 respectively.

Once on the way I began to feel a little uncomfortable and my head began to hurt and my neck was a bit stiff. By the first checkpoint after the start at Leicester I was beginning to feel unwell and I took a couple of paracetamol tablets. Then we were off and gradually I found my eyesight a bit "tunneled" and this indicated a migraine on its way. I finally dropped so far back the others pulled into a lay-by. I had a drink and decided to call it a day so not to hold them up.

After so many miles to have to give up north of Leicester was a pain and also embarrassing!

In the end I left them to make the U-turn through a convenient hole and made my way home via a variety of Little Chefs and motorway services before getting home just after the start of Dr Who.

As I felt a bit better on the way back I had thought of doing a lesser award, but with no GPS to help me find a few I decided not to bother.

The pic was taken by Andy at the start at the services near to Donington Park.

No comments: