6 February 2007

Excel bike Show - 3rd February 2007

Okay, I admit I went to the bike show in the car. But in mitigation it was because both Claire and I wanted to shop around for new helmets.

We have become quite good at parking up and getting the tube and used this to good effect over the last few weeks, firstly for the "Vive la France" Show at Earls Court when we parked all day for a fiver at the car-park at West India Quay in the newly "upmarketed" docklands. But the DLR is quite slow when compared to real Tubes.

Then last week we had a run up to London again for the Arsenal vs Bolton FA Cup 4th Round game and tried a different tack and parked for £3.00 at North Greenwich, by the Dome. Not only is it cheaper but the Tube is much quicker than the DLR!

So to get to Excel we did the same. It looks as though we really need to get an Oyster card as North Greenwich to "Custom House for Excel" is one stop on the Jubilee Line and two on the DLR and all for £4.60!

As fate would have it, Claire bought a new Caberg like the one she has had for a while, just a new one and in a different colour. The old one was having problems with the strap fraying.

I was on the look out for a new one too, but as I am on the bike more than she is and for longer, I wanted something a little quieter and one that I can listen to the GPS nagging me at speeds over 60mph. With my Caberg J1 that's not an option!

I checked out an Airoh Mattisse but the sizes on offer were generally too small and the one I tried was too tight. Had they had my size I might have bought one as it is a good looking helmet and at £75 or half-price looked the biz.

This of course was destiny. I've looked for ages on the 'Net and EBAY at Schuberth C1 and C2's. I've even been to Infinity at Holborn to try one on for size in case I could get one cheap on the Net.

As it is, I am a medium, although Infinity never had one in the shop to work that out. Only S or L and I wanted to be sure before shelling out. At their stand at Excel they had a large selection...

I won't bore you with the process but as soon as I slid the one on the counter over my head it felt like quality. It fitted sweetly and was instantly comfortable. Then again, for the price of three Cabergs (at show prices) I should think so!

I asked about colours... silver, black (the demo) and matt black... it looks so gorgeous in matt black and it was fresh out of the box, brand spanking new, untried by any head before me. Fitted like a glove....

Now I have it I have to get the GPS headset out of the old helmet and get it mounted in the C2.

As for the show. Minging. Only three manufacturers turned up (BMW, KTM and HD) to show off their bikes and the rest was a mid-size supermarket to buy gear plus of course accessory dealers... If I had not got advanced group tickets through the Kent Centre of the Suzuki Owners Club I would have been miffed to have paid the full entry of £16.

No comments: