9 August 2024

Nikon D50 DSLR

So a few months ago I  took the Nikon with me to an event and started to shoot some photos.

As it is so ancient it will only accept a 2GB SD card. I guess it was state of the art back in 2005!

If you click on the tags you can see the history of my ownership of this camera. I kinda became the adoptive father of quite a few used and discarded digital cameras!!

I usually copy the pictures from the SD card to my laptop using a defunct but perfectly servicable app called Picasa 3.

Google as usual failed to support the app. It works perfectly on WIN10. Once on the laptop filed  in folders by date of shooting, I backup all folders to a 1TB external harddrive. Then I format the card in the camera.

However, on this day the camera refused to work with the lens switch set to auto. Sliding to manual, the shutter fired. 

No matter what I did, it refused to shoot in Auto on the lens and the body.

I didn't notice any error messages on the top LCD screen nor on the TTL screen.

Today, I dug it out of the drawer. Charged one of the three batteries and tried again. 

Same. 

I then went through the onboard menu and reset menus.

It wouldn't fire on auto! 🤬🤬🤬

Removing the lens I cleaned the contacts on my shirt (!) both on the lens and body.

Tried again. 💥

It worked. Now the "shots remaining" info in the viewfinder alternates between the number left on the card and "r08".

Google shows that it's not an error but the number of shots that the internal buffer can take before writing to the card. Why have I never seen this before?

The camera seems to be working otherwise.





No comments: