15 June 2012

The Old School Song - Non Nobis Domine

For some reason as I rode home tonight I eschewed the usual singalong and found myself singing this little ditty.

No Kylie or Metallica for me.  A bit of Kipling set to music and the school song of my old school Hinchley Wood County Secondary School. Coincidentally, it was my wife Claire's school song too!!

--------------

Non Nobis, Domine!
Not unto us, O Lord,
The praise and glory be
Of any deed or word.
For in Thy judgement lies
To crown or bring to nought
All knowledge and device
That man has reached or wrought.

And we confess our blame,
How all too high we hold
That noise which men call fame,
That dross which men call gold.
For these we undergo
Our hot and godless days,
But in our souls we know
Not unto us the praise.

O Power by whom we live
Creator, Judge and Friend,
Upholdingly forgive,
Nor leave us at the end.
But grant us yet to see,
In all our piteous ways,
Non Nobis, Domine,
Not unto us the praise.

--------------

No comments: