3 August 2021

Vimy Memorial Day - 2022

Hopefully the global pandemic will be on its last uppers come the start of 2022. So many of us will be vaccinated it will be those that didn't want it that will be falling ill and leaving those uber-vacced to be free from it, and able to travel.

The memorial at Vimy in Northern France occurs every year on the 9th April. It commemorates the opening of the Battle of Arras and the involvement of Canadian troops given the unenviable task of taking Vimy Ridge from the German occupiers.

I have been a few times but not since 2018.  I missed 2019 due to a holiday in Florida and in 2020 and 2021 it was cancelled as Covid began and continued to decimate the globe.

It's a pretty straightforward trip from here. Across on the Shuttle and then a motorway blast to Lens and the back roads into the site. From Calais Eurotunnel it's about 85 miles.

Eurotunnel to Vimy Memorial

Will I open the day trip up to the Meldrews or even the Old SOCS?  Maybe nearer the time.  I might see if my brother fancies the trip....

I like to get over early enough to have lunch before the start.  The last time I cocked up as I wanted to see the Louvre Lens and found that they have built a massive wall around it. So Billy No-Mates Devall lunched at McDonalds's by the Lens football stadium. Also nearer the time I will look for somewhere a little more upmarket.

A quick check of the fare on the Shuttle was a bit disappointing. In 2019 the fare was £30 for a day trip.

Today. With April 9th as the date it comes out at £68. 

Either inflation is raging way above everywhere else or they are trying to get back the money 💰 lost during the pandemic. Either way I'm not paying that for a day trip.

All the previous trips can be seen by clicking on the "Vimy Ridge" label below.

No comments: